This workshop is intended to teach the steps of first-trimester abortion using an animated video of the procedure.
This animation is an excellent introduction to the first-trimester abortion for pre-clinical medical students and can be used in conjunction with a Papaya Workshop to add a realistic element to the fruit model.
By the end of this workshop, learners will be able to:
- Identify the two types of pain control that can be used with tenaculum placement
- Identify the location and depth of a intra cervical block
- Identify the location and depth of a para cervical block injections
- Determine what size dilator to use for a first-trimester abortion based on gestational age
- Identify two methods used to preform first-trimester procedures
How to use these materials:
Begin by reviewing the anatomy of the of the uterus. If time allows, you can use the Introduction and Anatomy section or the Papaya Workshop Facilitation Guide or play the Introduction and Anatomy video from papayaworkshop.org. Next review the pain control options for first trimester abortion or ask students to review the Pain with Uterine Aspiration video lecture before the workshop.