Presented by Bhavik Kumar, MD, MPH (he/him)
Supplemental Video Content
- An Overview of Abortion Laws. Guttmacher 2020. https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws#
- Singh S, Remez L, Sedgh G, Kwok L, Onda T. Abortion Worldwide 2017: Uneven Progress and Unequal Access. Guttmacher 2018. https://www.guttmacher.org/report/abortion-worldwide-2017
- Donovan Self-Managed Medication Abortion: Expanding the Available Options for U.S. Abortion Care. Guttmacher 2018; 21.
- Jones R, Donovan M. Self-managed abortion may be on the rise, but probably not a significant driver of the overall decline in abortion. Guttmacher 2019. https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2019/11/self-managed-abortion-may-be-rise-probably-not-significant-driver-overall-decline
- Self-Managed Abortion- What Healthcare Workers Need to Know. Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health, Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health.
- Baker C. Self-Managed Abortion Is Medically Very Safe. But Is It Legally Safe? MS Magazine 2020. https://msmagazine.com/2020/04/01/self-managed-abortion-is-medically-very-safe-but-is-it-legally-safe/
- Worldwide, an Estimated 25 Million Unsafe Abortions Occur Each Year. Guttmacher and WHO News Release, 2017. https://www.guttmacher.org/news-release/2017/worldwide-estimated-25-million-unsafe-abortions-occur-each-year
- Harris L, Grossman D. Complications of Unsafe and Self-Managed Abortion. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1029-1040 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32160664/
- Statement on Decriminalization of Self-Induced Abortion. ACOG 2017. https://www.acog.org/clinical-information/policy-and-position-statements/position-statements/2017/decriminalization-of-self-induced-abortion
- Fulfilling Roe’s Promise: 2019 Update. If/When/How 2019. https://www.ifwhenhow.org/resources/roes-unfinished-promise-2019-update/
- When Self-Abortion is a Crime. National Institute for Reproductive Health 2017. https://www.nirhealth.org/decriminalize/
- World Health Organization. (2012) Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems – 2nd ed. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/70914/9789241548434_eng.pdf?sequence=1